Why drink hot water and lemon?
1. Hot water and lemon stimulates your liver and cleanses your kidneys.
2. Lemons are acidic, but they have an alkaline effect on the body. So what? Many processed foods and animal products cause the body to become more acidic. Drinking lemon water will help restore the body to ideal pH levels (about 7.4 in the bloodstream). For this reason, drinking lemon juice in water can help reduce heartburn and bloating.
3. Lemons are rich in vitamin C. One lemon contains about 75% of the daily recommended intake for vitamin C.
4. Lemons contain the bioflavonoid quercetin, which helps produce insulin and balance blood sugar. Quercetin also boosts your immune system and is anti-inflammatory, so it can help ease allergy symptoms.
5. Lemons help regulate your digestive system (you know, the same effect that Activia yogurt is supposed to have!)
6. It's refreshing! I don't sweeten my lemon water, and I've learned to love the strong taste of fresh lemon. If the idea of pure lemon juice and water is unpalatable to you, try using a little honey to sweeten it... most likely, after you become accustomed to drinking sweetened lemon water, you'll warm up to the taste of it unsweetened!
These are just a few of the many reasons why hot water and lemon can aid your diet. Some people say that for maximum benefits, you should wait at least half an hour after drinking the lemon water before eating or drinking anything else, but in the interest of time (and my grumbling stomach) I usually eat breakfast directly afterwards.
Thanks for reading, and stay tuned/follow this blog for more posts like this!